INFORMATION & DATA [COMPLETED] 2019.06.17 ~ 2019.10.31
The following participants are the winners of the 2019 ASEAN-Korea Academic Essay Contest and will be awarded:
- Jang Ji-eun (Yeungnam University)
- Park Hae-lim (Pukyoung National University)
- Lee Ho-hyeong (Yonsei University)
- Han Ma-eum (Yonsei University, Graduate School)
- Song Ji-eun (National University of Singapore, Graduate School)
- Lai Jia Shyan (Universiti Teknologi Brunei)
- Soeun Chansy (Pannasastra University of Cambodia)
- Adila Nurul Ilma (University of Indonesia)
- Olivia Gracia (University of Indonesia)
- Hline Pwint Phyu (Mandalay University)
- Jesus Deytiquez (De La Salle University Manila, Graduate School)
- Ang Guan Teo (Nanyang Technological University)
- Hunter Ng Boon Hian (Nanyang Technological University)
- Nguyen Thi Huong Giang (Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam)
- Dao Manh Nghia (Ho Chi Minh City University of Law)
The above mentioned results have been informed to the awardees and relevant persons individually.
*Due to shortage of quality submissions, we could not select winners from all 10 ASEAN member states. We would like to encourage all students of ASEAN and Korea to take part in our future events. Thank you very much for your kind support.
Call for Papers:
2019 ASEAN-Korea Academic Essay Contest
Organized by ASEAN-Korea Centre and ASEAN University Network (AUN)
Supported by ASEAN Secretariat, ROK Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Pukyoung National University Global Area Studies Center, Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam
With the beginning of dialogue partnership in 1989, ASEAN and Korea have become strong partners in all aspects of political-security, economy and socio-culture. ASEAN is Korea’s second largest trading partner and third largest investment destination, while Korea is ASEAN’s fifth largest trading partner. ASEAN is also the most visited overseas destination for Koreans, and the people-to-people exchanges between the two regions has surpassed 11 million in 2018. With this strengthening ASEAN-Korea ties, the dialogue partnership is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, and the ASEAN-ROK Commemorative Summit is to be held in Korea for the third time, followed by the Inaugural Mekong-ROK Summit.
Against such backdrop, the ASEAN-Korea Centre, an inter-governmental organization mandated to promote economic and socio-cultural cooperation between ASEAN and Korea, is hosting the 2019 ASEAN-Korea Academic Essay Contest inviting students of ASEAN and Korea to share their perspectives and knowledge on ASEAN and ASEAN-Korea relations. The young perspectives of the youth of ASEAN and Korea will contribute toward building a true, genuine and lasting partnership.
THEME (select one of the following themes)
1. ASEAN and Korea in the Emerging Indo-Pacific
With 65% of the world population and over 60% of global GDP, the Indo-Pacific has come into the limelight as it has also become a main theatre of China’s Belt and Road Initiative and the United States’ free and open Indo-Pacific strategy. As regional entities, ASEAN and Korea share the regional outlook which naturally leads them for cooperation. In what ways can ASEAN and Korea increase their cooperation to navigate through the tides of the emerging Indo-Pacific?
2. ASEAN Connectivity and Beyond
ASEAN visions “to achieve a seamlessly and comprehensively connected and integrated region that will promote competitiveness, inclusiveness, and a greater sense of Community” as proclaimed in the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity 2025. A well-connected ASEAN will bring its goods, services and people together, creating a foundation for a more resilient, competitive and prosperous ASEAN Community. What are the key areas ASEAN should focus on to fulfill its connectivity visions? How can ASEAN Connectivity achieve a regional integration that will connect beyond the ASEAN region?
3. Toward a Reciprocal Cultural Exchanges: ASEAN Wave in Korea
With increasing interactions and socio-cultural exchanges between ASEAN and Korea, the perception of ASEAN has been expanding in Korea. However, while Korean cultures are widely spread in the ASEAN region with the tides of the ‘Korean Wave’, understanding of ASEAN’s unique and diverse cultures are still in the growing stage in Korea. How can we effectively promote ASEAN’s unique and diverse cultures in Korea? In what ways can ASEAN and Korea cooperate to facilitate and promote the ‘ASEAN Wave’ in Korea?
4. 30 Years of ASEAN-Korea Relations: Retrospect and Prospect
The ASEAN-Korea relations began with the establishment of the sectoral dialogue partnership in 1989. Since then, the relationship has expanded and deepened to become a strategic partnership for peace and prosperity in 2010. This year, ASEAN and Korea celebrate the 30th anniversary of their dialogue partnership. How has the ASEAN-Korea relations evolved over the past 30 years? How should the dialogue partnership progress forward?
The contest invites all ASEAN and Korean undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in education institutions based in ASEAN or Korea.
English or Korean
*Abstract must be written in English for both English and Korean essays.
DEADLINE AND REQUIREMENTS
Submission: 31 October 2019 (Korea Standard Time) [Extended from 1 September]
Winner Announcement: ~13 December 2019
3) Application form
Max. 4,000 words or 10 pages
Times New Roman
Max. 3,000 words or 10 pages
|*Abstract: 500 words / 1 page|
- Essays must be submitted and formatted in Microsoft Word.
- In-text citations must be made in APA (sixth edition).
- 10 ASEAN winners (1 winner from each ASEAN Member State)
- 5 Korean winners
- Winners will be invited to an academic workshop to present their essays.
- Winners will be offered an opportunity for study trips to ASEAN and Korea (4 nights/5 days):
a) Study Trip to Korea – Visits to the ASEAN-Korea Centre, universities, research institutes, and cultural sites in Korea.
b) Study Trip to ASEAN – Visits to the universities, research institutes and cultural sites in Viet Nam.
*Travel expenses will be covered by the ASEAN-Korea Centre.
All eligible entries received will be assessed by a qualified panel of judges chosen by the organizers.
- All requirements must be submitted electronically by the submission deadline on http://bit.do/2019akessay
- Reference materials must be properly cited. About the plagiarism policy, refer to www.plagiarism.org.
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Only original and unpublished essays will be considered for assessment.
- For any inquiries, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants are kindly recommended to visit the ASEAN E-Library (http://elibrary.aseankorea.org) and read the key documents on ASEAN Community and ASEAN-Korea relations including ASEAN Community Vision 2025, Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity 2025, ASEAN-ROK Plan of Action to Implement the Joint Declaration on Strategic Partnership for Peace and Prosperity 2016-2020, Joint Statement of the ASEAN-ROK Commemorative Summit.
Winning Essays of the 2016 Contest (Download)
Winning Essays of the 2017 Contest (Download)
Winning Essays of the 2018 Contest (Download)